The perfect “Next-Step” program for young surfers to progress their skills. Guided surf sessions offer independent practice with safety and instruction. Offered Saturdays.
NEW JERSEY KIDS’ SURF CAMPS
- Half Day Camper
New Jersey Kids’ Surf and Ocean Safety Camp
Since 2006, Summertime’s community-supported surf camps have earned the reputation as New Jersey’s #1 surf school. By combining positive role models, creative original programming, small student groups, and the ultimate classroom (our beach and ocean), our kids’ surf camps are the East Coast’s premier place to get started and stay involved with the surf lifestyle.
- Kids Surf Camps are offered as a week-long program (Monday-Friday). Camp weeks begin in mid-June, and are offered through the end of August.
- AM session- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- PM session- 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
2023 Kids Surf Camp Dates
Week 1 – June 19th (PM only)
Week 2 – June 26th
Week 3 – July 3rd
Week 4 – July 10th
Week 5 – July 17th
Week 6 – July 24th
Week 7 – July 31st
Week 8 – August 7th
Week 9 – August 14th
Week 10 – August 21st
Week 11 – August 28th
We highly recommend registering as early as possible to ensure your preferred week and location, particularly if you are registering multiple campers.
- IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN REGISTERING FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS, PLEASE CALL 732-599-2700 TO INQUIRE ABOUT ACCELERATED PROGRAMMING.
- Due to the high rate of returning campers, many weeks of the summer sell out before camps start in June. We HIGHLY recommend registering AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE to ensure your preferred week and location.
- We will not compromise our program quality by overselling or overcrowding our camps. Safety and small groups are the keys to successful experiences.
- There is a waiting list for sold out weeks, so if you do not have calendar flexibility or cannot make it to a different location, there is a chance you can get in if another family cancels.
- TIP: Campers who start at the beginning of summer have the whole season to practice new skills.
- If you are registering multiple campers, use the code “friends23” during the online checkout process for our Friends and Family Discount!!
What to Bring:
“in surfing, less is more”
😎 Sunscreen applied
🚰 Water bottle
👙 Ocean-appropriate swimwear (i.e. suits that won’t fall off in the water)
🏄 Wetsuit (if you have one)
🏄 Beginner Soft Surfboard (if you have one)
Note: Fiberglass surfboards allowed for intermediate/advanced classes only
😀 A smile!
- All Summertime staff members are Certified Lifesavers trained in CPR and First Aid and have experience working with the local lifeguards and first aid squads to further ensure the safety of our campers and staff.
- We maintain a 4:1 student to instructor ratio at our camps.
- All aspects of our program have been designed with safety as the main priority. A healthy surfer is a happy surfer! We are prepared for emergencies and have dealt with injury, both serious and minor, effectively in the past. A tent/canopy acts as our home-base, and campers find shelter from the sun regularly throughout the day. All of our equipment is inspected daily for potential hazards, and we use only new, beginner-friendly surfboards. There is a waiver that must be signed due to the inherent risks of surfing and other activities that our camp provides. That being said, we would like to assure you that we have carefully chosen a team of responsible adults to provide the best experience possible for you or your child. We realize that there will be bumps, breaks, bruises, cuts, scrapes, and possibly a few tears shed, but we will work with you and your child to make sure that their experience is one that they walk away from smiling.
S.W.B.A.T. (Surfer Will Be Able To) Demonstrate Improvement In:
- Lifeguard respect & the importance of expert supervision
- Entering & exiting the water safely
- Spinal cord injury risk awareness & mitigation skills
- Rip current recognition & response
- How to use the surfboard as a lifesaving aid
- Surfboard control
- Proper paddle technique
- Surfboard positioning
- The 4 Ps of surfing
- Catching waves
- Making the drop
- Timing the sets
- …and much more!
- Respect for others & the environment
- Physical awareness & control
- Calibrating confidence levels (both up and down)
- Basic yoga practice
- Friendship & sharing natural resources