Summertime Surf’s kids’ camps are the East Coast’s premier place for kids to get started and stay involved with the surf lifestyle!
- Summer Grom Team
Summertime Surf Grom Teams
Summertime Surf’s professional coaching staff has over 15 years of experience mentoring New Jersey’s best up-and-coming surfers. Former Grom Team members have not only accomplished personal growth and development, but also have become regional, state, and national champions, sponsored athletes, and captains of Collegiate Surf Clubs and Teams.
We accept new members at any time (year-round) after a surfer passes the tryout. Click Book Now and select the “Grom Team Tryout Item” if you have not passed a tryout yet.
Advanced Surf Coaching for the area’s best up-and-coming young surfers!
- Advanced technique coaching
- Filmed surf sessions and expert video analysis
- Competitive practice
- Range of boards & equipment to explore
- Camaraderie and commitment to respecting each other and the ocean
- Coaching and event setup at local contests including Big Sea Day, TJ Stockdale Memorial, etc.
- Team uniform (shirts, hoodies, hats)
Grom Team Summer Season Schedule:
Summer Grom Team Tryout Date: 10:30am on June 5th @ Lake Terrace Beach in Bradley
11-week program: Starting the week of June 21st, through Friday, Sept. 3rd
Varsity Boys’ Schedule: Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday mornings 7:30 – 9 a.m. @ Lake Terrace Beach in Bradley.
Girls’ Team Schedule: Wednesday/Thursday/Friday – 7:30 – 9 a.m. @ Lake Terrace Beach in Bradley.
JD Lacarrubba (Manasquan High School Surf Team Coach)
Jules Cairns (assistant)
Matt & Christian Amato (assistant)
Summer Team Practices:
- 11-week season during school’s Summer Break
- Practices 3 mornings a week from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. in all conditions
- Teams are divided into boys’ and girls’ teams and Varsity and Jr. Varsity teams.
- Practices meet at Bradley Beach northend (Lake Terrace & Ocean Ave) and utilize the diversity of the walkable surf breaks.
- Team participates in end-of-year contests in August
- Inner-squad practice contests when conditions allow
- $850 for the summer season
- Includes team t-shirt and hoodie
- Focused technique coaching
- Personal progress tracking & periodic evaluations
- Scrimmages & heat strategy objectives when conditions permit
- Filmed surf sessions and video analysis
- Range of boards & equipment to explore
- Lasting camaraderie and commitment to respecting the ocean & each other
Grom Team Membership – $150
- Personalized team jacket
- Inclusion on weekly practice schedule email
- Reduced rate of $40 per practice
Not ready to commit? Drop-in to try a session at $55 per session.
Grom Team practices serve as an opportunity to try out for the team. Please try to arrive 15 minutes early for an in-person consultation with one of the coaching staff so that we can take the time to prepare each surfer and set their expectations for what skills we will be looking for the surfer to demonstrate.
If your surfer makes the team, they’ll have the opportunity to register as an official team member. See membership information below.
How to Join the FWS Team:
- Above-average physical fitness is imperative.
- Independent surfing ability required. Must have experience catching waves without assistance to qualify for tryouts.
- Questions? email [email protected] to schedule a phone consultation so that we may schedule a tryout for Fall-Winter-Spring Team placement.
More info to help you understand how we adapt to NJ’s changing seasons:
🍂 With September and October being two of the best months to be a surfer in New Jersey, coaches aim to schedule 3 practice sessions per week. Practices are held after school and on the weekends from September 8th to October 31st.
🎃 After Halloween, practice opportunities become more challenging due to limited after-school daylight. Please expect more weekend practices and local indoor training sessions.
❄️ The Winter season is both incredibly challenging and rewarding. Daylight is scarce and temperatures make surfing suited for only the truly dedicated. However, winter possesses incredible potential, as some of our most memorable practices come during those months for the more advanced surfers.
✈️ If it becomes safe to return to travel, destinations such as Southern Mexico, Waco’s Wave Pool, and the American Dream indoor facility have all been organized in previous years, and we plan to explore traveling as a team to these and other destinations again, when the global climate allows.
🌦️ When Spring returns, the daylight after school does as well, and Grom Team members can expect more opportunities for after-school and weekend practice sessions as we approach summer.
☀️ The 2021 Summer season begins a new year for the Grom Team and a return to the regular morning practice schedule. This will also mark the “graduation” of some team members who are given the opportunity to apply to become workers at Summertime Surf School.