RHODE ISLAND KIDS’ SURF CAMPS
- Half Day Camper
Surf & Ocean Skills Kids Camp
Summertime Surf School is hitting the road again to bring its unique brand of authentic surf camps to the beaches and reefs of Matunuck, Rhode Island.
***For One Week Only! August 7-11th, 2023
Since 2006, Summertime’s community-supported surf camps have earned the reputation as one of the nation’s leading surf schools. By combining positive role models, creative original programming, small student groups, and the ultimate classroom (our beaches and oceans), Summertime Surf camps are the East Coast’s premier place to get started and stay involved with the surf lifestyle.
Who is this for?
- Boys & girls ages 7-14
- Interested in the surf & ocean lifestyle
- Must be able to tread water & have swimming experience
- The fundamentals of surfing in a 5-day curriculum
- Ocean Skills & how to be safe in the ocean
- Surf Skills & the unique athleticism surfers embody
- Life Skills & perspectives that the ocean lifestyle teaches us all
Where do they meet?
- Surf Campers meet at Matunuck Surf Shop & utilize the beach in front of the Ocean Mist
How much does it cost?
- $425 for the 5-day program includes:
- all equipment
- T-Shirt & Stickers to remember your experience
- Kids Surf Camps are offered as a week-long program (Monday-Friday).
- AM session- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
2023 Kids Surf Camp Dates
August 7th – 11th
We highly recommend registering as early as possible to ensure availability, particularly if you are registering multiple campers.
- We will not compromise our program quality by overselling or overcrowding our camps. Safety and small groups are the keys to successful experiences.
What to Bring:
“in surfing, less is more”
😎 Sunscreen applied
🚰 Water bottle
👙 Ocean-appropriate swimwear (i.e. suits that won’t fall off in the water)
All surfing equipment is provided during programming!
🏄 Wetsuit (if you have one)
🏄 Beginner Soft Surfboard (if you have one)
Note: Fiberglass surfboards allowed for intermediate/advanced classes only
😀 A smile!
- All Summertime staff members are Certified Lifesavers trained in CPR and First Aid and have experience working with the local lifeguards and first aid squads to further ensure the safety of our campers and staff.
- We maintain a 4:1 student to instructor ratio at our camps.
- All aspects of our program have been designed with safety as the main priority. A healthy surfer is a happy surfer! We are prepared for emergencies and have dealt with injury, both serious and minor, effectively in the past. A tent/canopy acts as our home-base, and campers find shelter from the sun regularly throughout the day. All of our equipment is inspected daily for potential hazards, and we use only new, beginner-friendly surfboards. There is a waiver that must be signed due to the inherent risks of surfing and other activities that our camp provides. That being said, we would like to assure you that we have carefully chosen a team of responsible adults to provide the best experience possible for you or your child. We realize that there will be bumps, breaks, bruises, cuts, scrapes, and possibly a few tears shed, but we will work with you and your child to make sure that their experience is one that they walk away from smiling.
S.W.B.A.T. (Surfer Will Be Able To) Demonstrate Improvement In:
- Lifeguard respect & the importance of expert supervision
- Entering & exiting the water safely
- Spinal cord injury risk awareness & mitigation skills
- Rip current recognition & response
- How to use the surfboard as a lifesaving aid
- Surfboard control
- Proper paddle technique
- Surfboard positioning
- The 4 Ps of surfing
- Catching waves
- Making the drop
- Timing the sets
- …and much more!
- Respect for others & the environment
- Physical awareness & control
- Calibrating confidence levels (both up and down)
- Basic yoga practice
- Friendship & sharing natural resources